Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pineapple Madness

I thought I would just post a pics of my dwarf pineapple fruiting for the first time.

 


Please excuse the dying sweet potato vine. Well the potato vine is not really dying, it did dry out between watering and I just haven't pulled off the dead leaves. Since I have to set it out this weekend, I was just waiting until then.




Isn't it pretty?
I've had this plant for a couple of years and it's been pretty maintenance free. Pineapples are great in the landscape both for their foliage and the appearance of fruit if you live in a 8 zone or higher, but have to brought in for wintering in my zone 7 area. Just regular water and my organic compost tea to fertilize. Pineapples respond very well to good fertilizer.


This variety is Ananas Nanus, a dwarf pineapple.  It is reasonably suited to indoor culture. Bright, warm conditions are required. I generally move my plant outside during the summer months. For good quality fruit, you need fertile organic soil, somewhat sandy and well drained. Pineapple is a heavy feeder if you want good sized fruit. Plant only in full sun to develop leaf colors and best possible fruit. From a small plant to fruit maturity is commonly near 2 years.

I am looking for a cultivar of the pink pineapple for its pink fruits.

For propagation, there are 3 ways to go:

1.) If you have a plant, you can divide the ‘ratoons’ (root parts) of mature plants.
2.) On less mature plants, you can separate side suckers from the mother plant.
3.) If you have no plant, buy a pineapple at your grocery. Cut off the top leaving about 1/2 inch of meat. Plant the top immediately only slightly below the surface of your soil. Soon your piece will start new growth. However, it may take longer to see fruiting. Finally, you can look for specialty varieties, dwarfs, pinks, etc. through plant nurseries and online dealers. 
Pineapples do not need cross pollination to bear fruit. 

Water moderately but keep soil moist, not wet, always insure good drainage.

If you want to see more of my gardening adventures, you can check it out at Nena's Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment